28th SGIFF Film Navigation Programme (library@esplanade)
The Singapore International Film Festival (SGIFF) returns for its 28th edition from 23 Nov – 3 Dec! With over 110 films from 42 countries to choose from, let us help you navigate through our programme lineup. Join us this weekend as we share about our film selection, what to look out for, and participate in discussions with our Festival programmers and guest speakers.
For this session, we will walk you through a selection of films from the Films In Competition, Asian Vision, and Cinema Today sections.
- The Wound dir. John Trengove [South Africa, France, Germany, Austria]
- The Talisman dir. Hari Suhariyadi [Central Java, Indonesia]
- Salvage: Malay Wild dir. Sherad Anthony Sanchez [Philippines]
- The Seen And Unseen dir. Kamila Andini [Indonesia, Netherlands, Australia, Qatar]
- Cocote dir. Nelson Carlo de Los Santos Arias [Dominican Republic]
Registered attendees will stand a chance to win SGIFF tickets during the lucky draw!
About the Speakers
ZARINA MUHAMMAD is an independent researcher, curator, arts practitioner, and educator based in Singapore. She lectures mostly on art/critical theory with a focus on cultural/ethnographic histories of Southeast Asia at LASALLE College of the Arts. Currently, Zarina is working on a multidisciplinary research project on cultural translations pertaining to Southeast Asian ritual magic, sacred sites and the tracing of mythological roots of the feared, desired and revered (supernatural) body across the region. Her performative and collaborative works deconstruct and aim to confront histories, texts, definitions, and (mis)representations associated with these bodies of knowledge and polycosmologies. In the various incarnations of her work, she is particularly interested in the broader contexts of myth-making, gender-based archetypes and the region’s tenuous shape-shifting relationship to mysticism and the immaterial against the dynamics of global modernity. She has presented her work in Indonesia, Cambodia, Japan, Hong Kong, Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand and Australia.
LEONG PUIYEE is a manager at Objectifs Centre for Photography and Film, where she is responsible for film programmes and projects. She also coordinates the film sales at Objectifs Films, an independent film distribution label. She has managed film events such as the Singapore Short Film Awards, cINE65 Short Film Competition and the Fly By Night Video Challenge. She was part of the pre-selection committee of the inaugural SEAShorts Film Festival 2017 in Malaysia. An occasional zine artist, Puiyee has taken part in the 2013 Tokyo Art Book Fair and Print Lab: Art and Design publication exhibition under Grey Projects.
LOW ZU BOON is a film programmer. From 2011 to 2015, he was part of the National Museum of Singapore's Cinematheque team where he organised the World Cinema Series, Under the Banyan Tree: Open Air Cinema and Singapore Short Cuts, and retrospectives and thematic showcases such as Visions of the East: Asia through French Eyes, Merdeka! The Films of Usmar Ismail and Garin Nugroho and Majulah! The Film Music of Zubir Said. Zu Boon holds a B.A. in Cinema and Cultural Studies, and an M.A. in Arts Management from the University of Melbourne.
- A fully refundable fee of $5 is charged for each ticket booking.
- On the event, simply present the e-ticket at the Front-of-House desk. The refund will be processed electronically via Peatix. Otherwise, the ticket will be forfeited.
- Registration closes 5th November 2017, 2pm. Any cancellations must be made before the ticket cut-off date and time.
- Should the refund be done before the credit cardcut-off date, no money will be deducted for ticket payment. In most cases, both the ticket payment and the refund appear separately on the credit card statement.
- Should the refund be done after the credit card cut-off date, Peatix will refund the amount in the next month through a negative invoice.
- Peatix accepts VISA, Master, Paypal and AMEX.
For enquiries: +65 6509 4749 / firstname.lastname@example.org
- The event description was updated. Diff#291459 2017-11-01 07:02:06
3:00 PM - 4:00 PM SGT
Free Seating (Refundable) SOLD OUT $5.00
- Venue Address
- 8 Raffles Ave, 03-01, Singapore 039802 Singapore